Search This Blog

Thursday 21 October 2010

Personal Knowledge Management in my Life - 7

Yesterday, I went to my client to show them the current progress in the project and to get their feedback about two issues and to take their pulse regarding the project.

The day before, I was working on the project till 2:00 AM and in the morning I found that the process has already finished so I saved the project normally.
Power outage happened but luckily I saved my work in the project before that happened.

I went to the client as per the agreement, and opened the project. Guess what, the project didn't open and popping up error message about unknown crash out.
I was totally shocked. I spent 20 minutes in front of the client trying to solve the problem but I couldn't.

I apologized and asked them to give me some to figure out how I'm going to solve this problem.
Time has gone and I couldn't solve the problem and we canceled the meeting.
It was deeply embarrassing. I went back to the office and I've done all the tricks and tips to solve the problem. Nightmare was amounting to think about reproducing the whole work for the last 5 days for a 15 working days project!!.

At 16:45 I've done something else to recover the project and I has fixed it. I was so cheerful to recover it back.

This was another painful experience about the value of proper data management.
Information management is an integral part of the project management. I undervalued that when I was postponing the data management task required for the project and prioritize the mainstream tasks to boost the productivity and to meet the deadlines.

The lesson learned was clear that data management is a time saving and key factor in reducing the Non productive time (NPT).
Time invested in the data management is not time wasted but invested.
I directly archived the project and put better disciplined procedures for managing the data management aspect of the project including the files organizations and the structured and unstructured data management.
I will be more aware and pay more attention to the project database setup, data management, file organizations, archiving, and the all data management duties required in the project management.

No comments:

Post a Comment