Search This Blog

Thursday 22 July 2010

Information life-cycle in the hydrocarbon industry

Since my early days in the hydrocarbon exploration industry, I was attracted to think about the decision making process and its association with the information life-cycle.
Decisions are what is shaping everything in the world. Life is nothing but the consequences of our decisions.
BP oil spill is the outcome result of sequence of decisions based on the information life-cycle.
The life-cycle of the information and its impact on the decision making process was scrutinized by the theorists and studied deeply. In spite of these in-depth studies, the decision making process is not fully aligned with the information life-cycle and it is still depending on the gut feelings.
I know it looks shocking but that's what I've seen through my 11 years life career in the hydrocarbon industry that the proportionality of the gut feelings relative to the information contribution in the decision is astonishingly larger.
I'm talking here about decisions about investment is worthy millions and billions of dollars.
Bearing in my mind, the billions spent on acquiring the data and process it, you can estimate the severity of the problem in sensitive field like the hydrocarbon industry.
In the next post I will explain in plain english the information life-cycle and its association with the decision making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment