Search This Blog

Monday 2 August 2010

Gender diversity

I received circulated survey about the gender diversity policy of Schlumberger , my employer. Here is my opinion about the gender diversity. Diversity in general is very healthy and no doubts that it enriches any community and society. But should it be objective by itself and to be one of the corporate objectives to achieve certain level of gender balance. I disagree with setting the gender balance as an objective. I've seen in my career life more negative impact on the business because of this policy. I support that the equality and the talent capturing which is irrelevant to the balance policy. We should modify totally the policy to be the enforcement of the equality in the employment and the full fair and unbiased qualifications. Because we confined our policy to the gender balance which is a very reactive approach to support the women as a minority, I've seen reverse trend of bias toward the men by giving the women advantageous privileges to encourage and support and retain them. It is negative impact on the business because of misunderstood social responsibility and satisfying the shareholders and public opinion and the public image of the company.
Now we have the extremism of this policy and blindly support the women.
I'm still supporting the mixed gender environment as long as the ground roles are clear and respected. I agree as well that the uni-gender environment is not the most healthy environment for social and business reasons.
But the current situation is becoming very frustrating by giving the woman the full rights in maternity and paternity and on the other side the vacation balance is very restricted to the men in the majority of the countries. I feel that I'm working for a supporting my female colleague through a way and cause I don't believe in.
I'm working more so they can enjoy their social and career life and they can save more!!!!.
It shouldn't be about balance. Only talented and qualified force should join the organization regardless to the balance objectives. Otherwise they should have as well nationalities balance, race balance, disability balance.. etc ..!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment